Page 899 of 1090 FirstFirst ... 399799849889894895896897898899900901902903904909949999 ... LastLast
Results 17,961 to 17,980 of 21797

Thread: What are you backing Today?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eddiemaurice is in tomorrows 3:50 at Ascot. There's no time for a proper write-up, but briefly, the ground looks perfect, (as long as it doesn't get too soft), he will have been freshened up I reckon now back hurdling, and his Betfair Hurdle 9th reads well, especially as he's on a low-enough mark of 122. Worth playing.
    Last edited by Marb; 23rd November 2017 at 8:25 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He's out to 20's, so its an each way project today. Two bob each way for fun.

Thanks
    Don Bersey in the last at Ascot is worth a few quid EW back on better ground over 2 miles

Thanks
    It's rare I'll have a bet in a race of this nature but there's a lot to like about Midnight Silver in the 2:50 at Ffos Las today.

and having taken a look at the cards I'm pretty sweet on Kilcrea Vale too just ten minutes before so have done a couple of singles and a double.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    It's rare I'll have a bet in a race of this nature but there's a lot to like about Midnight Silver in the 2:50 at Ffos Las today.

and having taken a look at the cards I'm pretty sweet on Kilcrea Vale too just ten minutes before so have done a couple of singles and a double.
    Well that went well. I should have stopped typing after the first dozen words.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    went almost as well as mine wilson

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Eddiemaurice is in tomorrows 3:50 at Ascot. There's no time for a proper write-up, but briefly, the ground looks perfect, (as long as it doesn't get too soft), he will have been freshened up I reckon now back hurdling, and his Betfair Hurdle 9th reads well, especially as he's on a low-enough mark of 122. Worth playing.
    Well, looked like he needed the run but still finished fourth at 25/1 to nearly grab a place.

There may be a nice handicap hurdle in him, maybe next time out?
    Last edited by Marb; 24th November 2017 at 5:15 PM.

Thanks
    I've already got some decent positions antepost for the old fixed brush but I couldn't resist adding one more on the eve of the race and heres why.

The Dutchman.

Leaps of faith,leaps of faith. I was looking yesterday and felt I'd made a mistake backing Zarkander and mainly because I thought the money would have been better spent taking a chance on this one. I don't like backing too many and was going to leave it but when Betfair wanted to pay 6 places at 14's it tipped me over the edge and I had to get involved. The case isn't exactly straight forward but I'll do my best to highlight some positives.

Started off ok over hurdles for Sandy Thompson 2nd on debut over 2m4f on heavy ground before winning next time out and then running a creditable 3L second to our new friend and Grd1 chaser in the making Le-prezien. We won't read too much into that but try to remember that our fellow is only rated 135. Then onto the grade 1 novices at Aintree where he broke a blood vessel and pulled up can't do much about that can we.

So then he embarks on a chasing career which hasn't gone awfully despite him not looking like a natural over fences. He put in some half decent seconds over trips of 2 and a half mile but his better performances seem to have come over 3 mile even if somewhat disguised by jumping errors at those pesky big fences.

A 3L third to Aux Pitts Soins wouldn't look too bad as form goes as although that one himself didn't take to fences he was at one point a class above in hurdling but its the race comments that struck me

Chased leader until hit 2nd, prominent, mistake 9th, pushed along and slightly outpaced after 3 out, rallied and chasing winner when hit last, edged left, no extra and lost second run-in (op 11/4)

That suggests that what looks a decent run would have been a hell of a lot better if he'd been able to jump a fence.His only other try at 3 miles was also accounted for by the bigger obstacles.

In touch, moved upsides and travelling ok when fell 4 out (op 6/1 tchd 5/1)

So 2 performances there over 3 mile which looked better than anything he did over shorter so going back to hurdles where his form wasn't too bad anyway and looks fairly treated if he improves for the step up in trip as he looks to have done over fences and with the smaller obstacles to negotiate then he has to be in with a tremendous chance.

He did however revert back to hurdles for one run at the end of last season over an extend 2 and a half and was soundly beaten so that may point to the fact I've got this all wrong however I think we may have a plausible excuse and another reason for possible improvement. I'm lead to believe that he's had a wind op in the summer not 100% confidence in the source but see no reason why they'd lie. He also where's a first time tounge tie so that sort of adds to the theory that there has been some sort of issue.

He also transfers from Sandy Thompson to The Tizzard yard which could be viewed as a positive I don't know that much about Sandy but Tizzard although seeming like a country bumpkin to me is now one of the top trainers around. The fact the horse is being so highly tried on his first run back suggests to me that Tizzard believes its well handicapped and ready to burn.

All in all I didn't really want another bet but with 6 places on Betfair available surley its stealing money ?
    Last edited by Danny; 24th November 2017 at 7:20 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Smad Place, Defi du Seuil, Cue Card treble for me today. Pays 21/1.

Thanks
    Off to Haydock today and I have a few bets.

When I'm well in AP I tend to go into lockdown mode and this is my strat for the big race today. I'm on BDM at 10s and 8s and will top up on course. I backed Outlander at 10s earlier in the week and will back him again also. Cue Card is the obvious danger now and I have him in doubles with Top Notch (2s and 3s) and Might Bite (KG 9/4 and 5/2). Despite being a follower of the Nick Williams stable I can't really see T42 getting involved but I do like Le Rocher in the proceeding race. Backed earlier in the week at 14s I have gone in again at 10s, all each way. He will be suited by conditions today. When I go racing I tend to have bets on races I wouldn't touch if at home (I call them expense bets) and so I will also back Russe Blanc and Clan des Obeaux in their respective races.

At Ascot I'm dutching Josses Hill and Top Notch in the Amlin. The former is a lot better going right handed and is overpriced. The latter I believe is potentially top class over fences and should be clear fav.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Barry Geraghty has 2 mounts today. Palmers Hill beat very little but I know for a fact he's come on a ton since then so I am all in.......if luck is with me will put half on Defi for a geraghty double.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I've took a chance on Sam Spinner 12/1 antepost for what used to be the fixed brush hurdle. Its a bit late to be posting full thoughts. So i'll keep it brief he's been put up only 3lb for finishing 2nd last time out at Chepstow. Would have won if not fluffing the last. Take a look at what some of those who finished in behind that day have done since and its probably as strong a line of collateral form as you'll find. Personally dont like betting antepost but chanced a decent bet on this but even if antepost is not for you he's one to keep an eye out for next Saturday or actually given I've punted him for Saturday then keep an eye out for when he actually runs next.
    I've already got some decent positions antepost for the old fixed brush but I couldn't resist adding one more on the eve of the race and heres why.

The Dutchman.

Leaps of faith,leaps of faith. I was looking yesterday and felt I'd made a mistake backing Zarkander and mainly because I thought the money would have been better spent taking a chance on this one. I don't like backing too many and was going to leave it but when Betfair wanted to pay 6 places at 14's it tipped me over the edge and I had to get involved. The case isn't exactly straight forward but I'll do my best to highlight some positives.

Started off ok over hurdles for Sandy Thompson 2nd on debut over 2m4f on heavy ground before winning next time out and then running a creditable 3L second to our new friend and Grd1 chaser in the making Le-prezien. We won't read too much into that but try to remember that our fellow is only rated 135. Then onto the grade 1 novices at Aintree where he broke a blood vessel and pulled up can't do much about that can we.

So then he embarks on a chasing career which hasn't gone awfully despite him not looking like a natural over fences. He put in some half decent seconds over trips of 2 and a half mile but his better performances seem to have come over 3 mile even if somewhat disguised by jumping errors at those pesky big fences.

A 3L third to Aux Pitts Soins wouldn't look too bad as form goes as although that one himself didn't take to fences he was at one point a class above in hurdling but its the race comments that struck me

Chased leader until hit 2nd, prominent, mistake 9th, pushed along and slightly outpaced after 3 out, rallied and chasing winner when hit last, edged left, no extra and lost second run-in (op 11/4)

That suggests that what looks a decent run would have been a hell of a lot better if he'd been able to jump a fence.His only other try at 3 miles was also accounted for by the bigger obstacles.

In touch, moved upsides and travelling ok when fell 4 out (op 6/1 tchd 5/1)

So 2 performances there over 3 mile which looked better than anything he did over shorter so going back to hurdles where his form wasn't too bad anyway and looks fairly treated if he improves for the step up in trip as he looks to have done over fences and with the smaller obstacles to negotiate then he has to be in with a tremendous chance.

He did however revert back to hurdles for one run at the end of last season over an extend 2 and a half and was soundly beaten so that may point to the fact I've got this all wrong however I think we may have a plausible excuse and another reason for possible improvement. I'm lead to believe that he's had a wind op in the summer not 100% confidence in the source but see no reason why they'd lie. He also where's a first time tounge tie so that sort of adds to the theory that there has been some sort of issue.

He also transfers from Sandy Thompson to The Tizzard yard which could be viewed as a positive I don't know that much about Sandy but Tizzard although seeming like a country bumpkin to me is now one of the top trainers around. The fact the horse is being so highly tried on his first run back suggests to me that Tizzard believes its well handicapped and ready to burn.

All in all I didn't really want another bet but with 6 places on Betfair available surley its stealing money ?
    Had a great day with my main bet winning and the Dutchman finishing 2nd but was so close to being a good deal nicer as just missed out on the tc

Sam Spinner (11)
    The Dutchman (13)
    No Hassle Hoff (8)
    Tricast Singles, 1 bet * £1.50 @ 1,045.40
    24/11/2017 17:43:40

Still can't complian.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Off to Haydock today and I have a few bets.

When I'm well in AP I tend to go into lockdown mode and this is my strat for the big race today. I'm on BDM at 10s and 8s and will top up on course. I backed Outlander at 10s earlier in the week and will back him again also. Cue Card is the obvious danger now and I have him in doubles with Top Notch (2s and 3s) and Might Bite (KG 9/4 and 5/2). Despite being a follower of the Nick Williams stable I can't really see T42 getting involved but I do like Le Rocher in the proceeding race. Backed earlier in the week at 14s I have gone in again at 10s, all each way. He will be suited by conditions today. When I go racing I tend to have bets on races I wouldn't touch if at home (I call them expense bets) and so I will also back Russe Blanc and Clan des Obeaux in their respective races.

At Ascot I'm dutching Josses Hill and Top Notch in the Amlin. The former is a lot better going right handed and is overpriced. The latter I believe is potentially top class over fences and should be clear fav.
    Really glad that Bristol punt came off for you Euro so often these things go wrong but great to see one pay off.

Thanks
    Great stuff Euro, wanted to back BDM but don't do AP, and far too skinny this morning . Knew it be a war of attrition n nabbed the Spud at 8s this morn

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Well literally zero love for that last effort but I'll copy over my next effort anyway.

The Hennessy
    So we go again and I have to admit that I already have a strong liking for one that I don't think Bets lo will be to happy with in the shape of single farm payment. However there is literally no point in taking the 8/1 available at the moment he was 16's before his performance at Cheltenham and all the juice has been sucked out really following that performance. I'll elaborate more on him closer the day.

So I started as I did last week with a quick glance over the runners and again I'm liking what I see. American bid to complete an unusual hatrick for Harry fry and bids to be the third fancied runner in the big Saturday handicap to be well fancied and be beaten out of sight following Kylemore Lough and Minella Awards I personally think he will do just that.

Whisper another of the ones likely to be popular and an old friend of mine as I put him up when he won from top weight in the Coral Cup. I've also landed a couple of decent paydays on him at Aintree so he's a horse who owes me nothing and I should be taking a favourable view of him. But having been watching a few replays this morning if he jumps like he did at Kempton or at Aintree on his last 2 starts then he has zero chance of winning this. You simply can not get away with fiddling fences here in this event. Spook brought it to my attention some years ago that those last few fences at Newbury come thick and fast and you need a horse that jumps them smoothly because is you miss one then is usually game over as you need to hit a rhythm over them to keep momentum going. I love whisper and he's a hell of a horse and I always think there is a strong correlation between good form around Aintree and good form at Newbury as the configuration of the courses are similar. I also believe these courses are about as stronger test of horses fencing as any you'd find due to the configuration of the courses they tend to get a lot of pace between fences and as such nothing tests jumping like jumping at pace.

But when sifting through it is Vieux de lion Rouge 33/1 generally that has captured my attention. For a start he tops Dave edwards figures which brought him to my attention. He disappointed on seasonal debut when massively behind in the Charlie Hall chase was eased when beaten. But trawling through his form its not hard to make an excuse for him as his record on soft ground is fairly terrible. His record on gd-sft or better though isn't so bad and with a fairly dry week forecast at Newbury who already are on gd-sft in places we can be hopeful that if lining up he'd get his ground. He was fairly lightly raced last year and was looking progressive. He won the Becher off 142 before going on to win the Grand national trial at Haydock with a victory over Black lion where they were a whopping 18L clear of the third (VDLR actually 21 lengths clear) then you could suggest that being in for this off a 6lb higher mark is more than fair. Even more so is you consider the subsequent perfomances of the pair. Blacklion went on to finish 2nd in the Grand national o.k VDLR was back in sixth in the big one itself but was hampered at a point and it would be acceptable to think he hasn't seen out the trip. Blacklion has come out first time to finish a close second to Britsol de mai over a shorter trip which given he's an out and out stayer and given the way Bristol demolished them in the Betfair Chase yesterday isn't too bad. Again VDLR was well behind them on this occasion but I think the ground offers up a reasonable excuse as he's much better on a better surface. By all means to take a literal view of the form lines would be bonkers but that beating of Blackion over 3m 4f reads very very well in terms of a 6lb rise. VDLR jumping having won a becher and finished 6th in a national add to the case that he can get into the sort of rhythm needed to win a Hennessy. Given better ground which if weather forecasts can be believed is looking likely I honestly believe he's around a 12/1 shot for this available at 33's.

I've had £30 on the nut at that price.

Please note though this horse is entered for the Becher a week later which is his more likely target and reason as to why I've kept the first stab fairly conservative. I have to pray that David Pipe see's sense the Hennessy is worth double what the Becher is, if turning up for the Becher he'd probably be shouldering top weight (gets a nice racing weight if Coneygree stands its ground in the Hennessy) and if this horse is on a national programme then the Hennessy is just as good a trial for the National as the Becher in my view. If he is on a proper National Campaign then he might be a non jigger until February which would be a shame because I think he's a horse of huge potential. David pipe only has this and Champers on Ice entered who'd struggle to get in.

Tread with care gents but I couldn't resist 33's about what I believe to be a 12/1 shot and as I did last week if this is available at anywhere near this price and making the line up and ground being right then I will with no doubt be having a decent e/w dig to top up.
    Last edited by broadsword; Today at 01:52 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (26th November 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've took a chance on Sam Spinner 12/1 antepost for what used to be the fixed brush hurdle. Its a bit late to be posting full thoughts. So i'll keep it brief he's been put up only 3lb for finishing 2nd last time out at Chepstow. Would have won if not fluffing the last. Take a look at what some of those who finished in behind that day have done since and its probably as strong a line of collateral form as you'll find. Personally dont like betting antepost but chanced a decent bet on this but even if antepost is not for you he's one to keep an eye out for next Saturday or actually given I've punted him for Saturday then keep an eye out for when he actually runs next.
    Cracking shout Danny, well played

Thanks
    Haha cheers was only kidding

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Jockey Finish O Toole on The Racing Post website is down as booked to ride Reverant Cust in the 3:05 Wetherby on Wednesday. I think this horse will win this race, whatever the opposition happens to be on a rating of 113. He needed the run last time, so should be forgiven. His overall profile is very consistent and makes me believe he is a decent horse. He's only won one handicap hurdle so far, but I'd be amazed if he can't bag more races this season off an unexposed handicap mark. I'm posting this on here now so I don't forget myself, lol. I've no idea what price until the actual race. I'm hoping a few stand their ground, so that Reverant Cust's price doesn't get too short.
    Last edited by Marb; 26th November 2017 at 9:29 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Jockey Finish O Toole on The Racing Post website is down as booked to ride Reverant Cust in the 2:30 Wetherby on Wednesday. I think this horse will win this race, whatever the opposition happens to be on a rating of 113. He needed the run last time, so should be forgiven. His overall profile is very consistent and makes me believe he is a decent horse. He's only won one handicap hurdle so far, but I'd be amazed if he can't bag more races this season off an unexposed handicap mark. I'm posting this on here now so I don't forget myself, lol. I've no idea what price until the actual race. I'm hoping a few stand their ground, so that Reverant Cust's price doesn't get too short.
    Brian Hughes gets the ride.
    Last edited by Marb; 28th November 2017 at 1:58 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Jock Talk tomorrow at Southwell Gordon Elliot trains it so don't expect to get rich quick
    Formely Fist of Fury