Page 887 of 1090 FirstFirst ... 387787837877882883884885886887888889890891892897937987 ... LastLast
Results 17,721 to 17,740 of 21797

Thread: What are you backing Today?

Thanks
    Yeah nice profit yesterday PB alright

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigTea For This Useful Post:

PlaceBacker (27th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanks guys, was overdue a good Saturday
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My punting abstinence has lasted the grand total of 5 days. Two horses being punted today in the betting markets that I want an interest in.

Thirsk 1:50 Golden Guide.
    Sandown 2:45 History Writer.

An each way double seems the way to go.
    Last edited by Marb; 1st September 2017 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Had a flutter on me coffee break myself

2.45 beachwalk 8-1
    3.55 madeline bond 7-1
    4.40 favourite treat 12-1
    4.50 ritasun 7-1

Lucky 15

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My each way double just touched off with History Writer running a belter at 20/1.
    Last edited by Marb; 1st September 2017 at 2:56 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Early market support for Show Stealer in the first at Sandown tomorrow. I can see why. This beat Marsha last season, and I fancy this comes back to form Saturday after dropping in handicap a bit..
    Last edited by Marb; 1st September 2017 at 6:06 PM.

Thanks
    Hi Marble don't know wether or not you remember me (broady from ohr ) and I was on FF for a short while before it closed. It wasn't intentional but I gave the game up for what has nearly been 2 years. It was supposed to be a couple of weeks break but tbh I found I'd just lost interest. However the last couple of weeks I've had a little urge to come back I wrote a little bit on Ohr for old times sake.As chance would have it I popped back in here to see if anyone I recognised was still about and I found you and apparently you have a fancy for my first bet back. Might as well share tomorrows thoughts with you I'll just copy and paste them over.

The Flyers Handicap.

Having taken a quick gander through the entire field nothing really screams out bang in form. There are obvious bits and bobs. The likes of Monseur Joe plummeting down the weights ( with good reason as far as I can see ). The likes of Bahimian sunrise will probably be popular being 2-2 at the track. Kasbah and Shamson were closely matched over CD recently and although I'd expect the latter to reverse with the former there isn't a lot between them and overall they don't look that strong.

One that might be worth a second glance on Saturday to get us off to a good start might be Ray guests Show Stealer. 14 starts and in the main been kept to 6F with 3 badly failed attempts to step up to 7F. Tries 5F for the first time on Saturday which normally wouldn't be something that would enthuse me as it would seem a desperate swipe to be dropping back in trip after this long. However where as most of these have been on the go all season Show stealer is rather fresh. Having had one start back in May where he was badly beaten over 7 he's then had a break, I presume something has been wrong and he's not run again until July. He's been highly tried on his return running in a Group 3 and a class 1 listed both at 6f and being fairly well beaten. First defeat is always excusable for a sprinter as I'm a big fan of sprinters needing match fitness and also it was a Grp3. Next time out he's been tried in cheek pieces for the first time raced quite keenly and was beaten fair and square fading in the final stages ( he was beaten earlier but the last furlong exaggerated the beaten distance ).

So with match fitness on his side, a big drop in class, a drop in distance, a good draw and a rather uninspiring bunch to run against he might just be worth a poke at around 9/1 currently I'd hope for double figures on the day as I don't think his chances are blindingly obvious. As said I wouldn't normally be a fan of a sprinter dropping back in trip at this time but hopefully those cheek pieces will make him keen enough. Given how the rail benefits at Sandown and although he's normally held up in his races I'm hoping they decide to pop him out and try and make all and make use of his proven ability at 6f to help him repel all comers.

3.35 Sandown.

Plenty with chances here and a tough one to split but there are 2 that I really think represent a bit of value at the current prices I'll start with the more speculative one and the complete outsider of the lot Mutarakez. Currently a 25/1 poke and possibly even bigger tomorrow I don't think all things considered he deserves this no hoper's price tag. He's only had 2 attempts at this trip the last run was poor at Ascot but he looked all at sea held up off a slow pace around Ascots bend and never really got into it. The time before that he's run Euginio (currently 8/1 shot for this ) fairly close over course and distance and tbf he was stopped in his run at a vital time. Not 100% sure he'd have won had he not been stopped but I doubt he'd have lost more than a nose. They meet again on the same dead weight terms here although the last time they met Mutarakez had a 7lb claimer on board. De Sousa ( who I was a big fan of before my retirement ) takes the mount for the first time and although I don't know much about the claimer who rode "The Mutt" that day I'd bet my life that de Sousa must be worth a few pounds more. "The Mutt" looks the sort who will need things to drop right for him a fast run race and all the gaps at the right times but to me he looks decent value to reverse with at least one of the market leaders.

Right then the main fancy I have for this I remember for being a complete pig of a horse and owes myself as well as a few others I imagine a fair few quid. The mere mention of his name should be enough to entice the cries of "Woof" from the crowd. So why on earth would I be taking a chance on Oasis dream I hear my avid readers scream. Well if you hang on in there a sec all shall become clear. His recent form hasn't been too bad and would give him a punchers chance and at 14/1 sometimes that is all you need. However as most would know he flatters to deceive a lot of the time and doesn't want to win most days. If we waft back a year or so he was beaten just under 2 lengths in a similar contest to this over course and distance from a 13lb higher mark which would point at the least to fact that trip,track and ground hold no worries as well as the fact he's now much more reasonably handicapped. I think the key here is the change in headgear though the last time this horse managed to oblige it was in first time blinkers. Off a mark of 89 ( now off 92 ) . He wore those blinkers for his next few starts and ran up some really decent placed efforts the best of which being a close second to Firefighting in a big Goodwood handicap earning him that rating of 105. He hasn't raced in blinkers since he's been with David Simcock ( 7 runs) and now 13lb lower than when joining the yard he's decided to reapply them. As said he's been running some fair races without them so hopefully they'll have the same effect as when they were first applied and I think that gives him a bit more than a punchers chance and I'd certainly think 14/1 is a bit of value ew. Even if he woofs his way out of it he places in around a third of races and he's really got everything in his favour tomorrow and if tomorrow isn't his day then lord knows when it will be.

Just another quick one I thought it was notable that Ryan Moore is on Shabbah because I actually prefer the chances of Stoutes other runner Abdon went well for a long way at Goodwood and it was only his first run back after being gelded so may well have needed it he'd be a chancey one but I've incuded him in some small combi's.

Excuse the tongue in cheek stuff ( Avid readers ) as our place is dead beyond revival. Good to see you lot still at it keeping racing forums alive. Hope the rest of you have been keeping well and winning a few quid too Oh and I did at some point realise that Show Stealer was in fact "a lady" you'll just have to bare with its been a while
    Last edited by Danny; 1st September 2017 at 9:15 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (2nd September 2017), JJ. (2nd September 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    My bets [1pt win on each @ BOG]

2.30 Chester-Ballesteros @ 7-1 [William Hill]
    2.40 Newmarket-Maksab @ 6-1 [Skybet]
    3.50 Newmarket-Hochfeld @ 9-2 [Skybet]
    3.55 Goodwood-Count Octave @ 11-4 [Paddy Power]
    5.10 Cartmel-Itshard To No @ 6-1 [William Hill]
    5.20 Chester-Alexander M @ 5-2 [Bet Victor]
    Profit of 10pts

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice one, PB.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

PlaceBacker (2nd September 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I had to check my calendar to make sure this was Saturday.

Biggest race of the day is Sandown's Solara Stakes which is anything but a classic worth only 40k

As a result it's not the best turnouts but one horse stands out to me. Clive Cox's Connect 11/2 should go close
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks

1.40 Chester-Mutakatif @ 7-4 [Paddy Power]
    4.30 Chester-Impart @ 11-2 [Paddy Power]

Thanks

What are you backing Today?

My sole bet today is in the 4.20 at Wexford. Ask Nile was available early doors at 9/2 but has since attracted support and is 11/4 now.

I backed this horse on chase debut at Killarney last May when he hosed in at a very attractive 25/1. He comes from my tracker having good form behind Moulin A Vent, a horse I have high hopes for this season.

He was 3rd last time out at Galway on ground and a trip didn't suit. He still ran credible behind Arbre De Vie & Shaneshill.

Today will be much more to his liking. I'm very confident he can do the business. We're due heavy rain later today. Lets hope it stays away until around 4.30.

Ask Nile. 4.20 Wexford. 9/2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kauto Abu; 2nd September 2017 at 9:15 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Hi Marble don't know wether or not you remember me (broady from ohr ) and I was on FF for a short while before it closed. It wasn't intentional but I gave the game up for what has nearly been 2 years. It was supposed to be a couple of weeks break but tbh I found I'd just lost interest. However the last couple of weeks I've had a little urge to come back I wrote a little bit on Ohr for old times sake.As chance would have it I popped back in here to see if anyone I recognised was still about and I found you and apparently you have a fancy for my first bet back. Might as well share tomorrows thoughts with you I'll just copy and paste them over.

The Flyers Handicap.

Having taken a quick gander through the entire field nothing really screams out bang in form. There are obvious bits and bobs. The likes of Monseur Joe plummeting down the weights ( with good reason as far as I can see ). The likes of Bahimian sunrise will probably be popular being 2-2 at the track. Kasbah and Shamson were closely matched over CD recently and although I'd expect the latter to reverse with the former there isn't a lot between them and overall they don't look that strong.

One that might be worth a second glance on Saturday to get us off to a good start might be Ray guests Show Stealer. 14 starts and in the main been kept to 6F with 3 badly failed attempts to step up to 7F. Tries 5F for the first time on Saturday which normally wouldn't be something that would enthuse me as it would seem a desperate swipe to be dropping back in trip after this long. However where as most of these have been on the go all season Show stealer is rather fresh. Having had one start back in May where he was badly beaten over 7 he's then had a break, I presume something has been wrong and he's not run again until July. He's been highly tried on his return running in a Group 3 and a class 1 listed both at 6f and being fairly well beaten. First defeat is always excusable for a sprinter as I'm a big fan of sprinters needing match fitness and also it was a Grp3. Next time out he's been tried in cheek pieces for the first time raced quite keenly and was beaten fair and square fading in the final stages ( he was beaten earlier but the last furlong exaggerated the beaten distance ).

So with match fitness on his side, a big drop in class, a drop in distance, a good draw and a rather uninspiring bunch to run against he might just be worth a poke at around 9/1 currently I'd hope for double figures on the day as I don't think his chances are blindingly obvious. As said I wouldn't normally be a fan of a sprinter dropping back in trip at this time but hopefully those cheek pieces will make him keen enough. Given how the rail benefits at Sandown and although he's normally held up in his races I'm hoping they decide to pop him out and try and make all and make use of his proven ability at 6f to help him repel all comers.

3.35 Sandown.

Plenty with chances here and a tough one to split but there are 2 that I really think represent a bit of value at the current prices I'll start with the more speculative one and the complete outsider of the lot Mutarakez. Currently a 25/1 poke and possibly even bigger tomorrow I don't think all things considered he deserves this no hoper's price tag. He's only had 2 attempts at this trip the last run was poor at Ascot but he looked all at sea held up off a slow pace around Ascots bend and never really got into it. The time before that he's run Euginio (currently 8/1 shot for this ) fairly close over course and distance and tbf he was stopped in his run at a vital time. Not 100% sure he'd have won had he not been stopped but I doubt he'd have lost more than a nose. They meet again on the same dead weight terms here although the last time they met Mutarakez had a 7lb claimer on board. De Sousa ( who I was a big fan of before my retirement ) takes the mount for the first time and although I don't know much about the claimer who rode "The Mutt" that day I'd bet my life that de Sousa must be worth a few pounds more. "The Mutt" looks the sort who will need things to drop right for him a fast run race and all the gaps at the right times but to me he looks decent value to reverse with at least one of the market leaders.

Right then the main fancy I have for this I remember for being a complete pig of a horse and owes myself as well as a few others I imagine a fair few quid. The mere mention of his name should be enough to entice the cries of "Woof" from the crowd. So why on earth would I be taking a chance on Oasis dream I hear my avid readers scream. Well if you hang on in there a sec all shall become clear. His recent form hasn't been too bad and would give him a punchers chance and at 14/1 sometimes that is all you need. However as most would know he flatters to deceive a lot of the time and doesn't want to win most days. If we waft back a year or so he was beaten just under 2 lengths in a similar contest to this over course and distance from a 13lb higher mark which would point at the least to fact that trip,track and ground hold no worries as well as the fact he's now much more reasonably handicapped. I think the key here is the change in headgear though the last time this horse managed to oblige it was in first time blinkers. Off a mark of 89 ( now off 92 ) . He wore those blinkers for his next few starts and ran up some really decent placed efforts the best of which being a close second to Firefighting in a big Goodwood handicap earning him that rating of 105. He hasn't raced in blinkers since he's been with David Simcock ( 7 runs) and now 13lb lower than when joining the yard he's decided to reapply them. As said he's been running some fair races without them so hopefully they'll have the same effect as when they were first applied and I think that gives him a bit more than a punchers chance and I'd certainly think 14/1 is a bit of value ew. Even if he woofs his way out of it he places in around a third of races and he's really got everything in his favour tomorrow and if tomorrow isn't his day then lord knows when it will be.

Just another quick one I thought it was notable that Ryan Moore is on Shabbah because I actually prefer the chances of Stoutes other runner Abdon went well for a long way at Goodwood and it was only his first run back after being gelded so may well have needed it he'd be a chancey one but I've incuded him in some small combi's.

Excuse the tongue in cheek stuff ( Avid readers ) as our place is dead beyond revival. Good to see you lot still at it keeping racing forums alive. Hope the rest of you have been keeping well and winning a few quid too Oh and I did at some point realise that Show Stealer was in fact "a lady" you'll just have to bare with its been a while
    Nice write up Danny, enjoyed reading it. I think I remember you yes, though that would be from The Racing Forum or Neigh a few years ago (I started posting on these forums approximately 05/06). I was nowhere near a computer before that, trust me... and I've come a long way since then. I've never been on FF or OHR. Anyways thanks again, let's hope Show Stealer does the business! She was my only strong fancy today as a win single.

I've put the other fella's selections in a Super Heinz for fun as well.

If Placebackers, Tanlics, Kautos and your selections all win Danny, it'll be a good day. I will settle for a handful of winners, no pressure, haha. Cheers.
    Last edited by Marb; 2nd September 2017 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    It wouldn't be off Neigh or TRF as I'd never been on there I'd always just been the resident forum clown on Ohracing for a few years and then popped over to Final furlong just before it shut. It might have just been off here tbh I didn't realise I posted much on here. I came over here initially basically because I'd run into EC1 before and he really knew his stuff. Also a guy called Hoof hearted from FF used to post on here under another name clever guy he was too. I actually spared a thought for him the other day when I heard about Bitcoin surging as I think he bought in early and sold a bit too early..probably even more so now poor chap.

If I get back into the racing malarkey I'll try and post up and get involved in some discussions. I wouldn't put too much faith in the selections as I was a serial loser anyway (yes we still exist in cyberspace ) and I really haven't got the foggiest whats been going on in racing recently...to put it blunty I carry a fair bit of condition but I'm hoping I can go well fresh haha .
    Last edited by Danny; 2nd September 2017 at 1:01 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hahaha, join the club re-serial loser. We're guessers mate, others 'know'.

I make more money off the roulette machines these days. (joke).

I'm planning to inflict damage on the bookies in The Ceserewitch, with Arch Villain, but that's a long term project, (6 weeks is a long time in racing). It's based on a hunch about form though, not inside information.

Seems there may be another Marble lurking in cyberspace, hmmm, interesting.

Show Stealer still being punted, Danny boy.
    Last edited by Marb; 2nd September 2017 at 1:44 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Marb; 2nd September 2017 at 1:46 PM.

Thanks
    Haha a touch of trouble in running with that one
    Last edited by Danny; 2nd September 2017 at 1:58 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yep not meant to be Danny. Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post

1.40 Chester-Mutakatif @ 7-4 [Paddy Power]
    4.30 Chester-Impart @ 11-2 [Paddy Power]
    Placebacker is off the mark. I followed both selections. Well done.
    Last edited by Marb; 2nd September 2017 at 2:01 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

PlaceBacker (9th September 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I had to check my calendar to make sure this was Saturday.

Biggest race of the day is Sandown's Solara Stakes which is anything but a classic worth only 40k

As a result it's not the best turnouts but one horse stands out to me. Clive Cox's Connect 11/2 should go close
    Out to 8's mate but horses don't know their prices, good luck.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice little racecard at Brighton tomorrow, been a good track to me down years on the smaller days. I'm gonna have a go at it tomorrow.