Page 12 of 1090 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722621125121012 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you backing Today?

Thanks
    Not very original, but both Burj Nahar and Gatewood look a cut above their opposition at Ascot today, and I've doubled them up at 13-8 each.

Thanks
    Burj Nahar got an exceptional ride last time and in my opinion is a prime candidate to bounce.Market liquidity is poor but I would have him as a serious place lay at anything under 1/2.

Thanks
    Carlisle 3:00 - This Lady amateur riders h'cap was introduced on the card two years ago and trainer Brian Ellison won both races comfortably. He has two runners in the race today and both look to have been laid out for the race.

Fujin Dancer improved 18lb over hurdles last season and looks better than the 7lb rise he was given for a comfortable win l/t/o, a race he had to win to guarantee a run here and his jockey has won 3 of his last four races on him.

Union Island was bought off Alan King in May and has had two runs for his current trainer. The first was over an inadequate trip of 1m before being upped to todays distance and finishing a close third. He know looks on a very competetive mark of 76 having run well off much higher marks in better h'caps in the past. His jockey won this race last year.

At 6/1 & 16/1 it's 2xsingles and a r/f/c for me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice research there, Chef, good luck.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Burj Nahar got an exceptional ride last time and in my opinion is a prime candidate to bounce.Market liquidity is poor but I would have him as a serious place lay at anything under 1/2.
    I agree he could bounce but I thought the ride the last day was ordinary - he made it more difficult (& himself look better) than was needed.

He could be anything but I would have went for a listed race with him - little point in wasting a race on such a horse with another handicap.

Marble
    The lucky last at Ascot brings me what I think is a good bet in Lost In Paris. Good recent form, pitched in against horses who are running well but up in the weights. I'm inclined to take them horses on here. 9's is a great price but I don't need another value bet loser.

Think he's the one though.
    Last edited by Marble; 24th July 2011 at 3:34 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Did you get the lay on Luke? My thinking were you were effectively getting a win lay at place lay odds, as he for me would either win or be unplaced.

Thanks
    Laid him at 1.57 -the betting seemed to be fairly volatile.Watched the race with a friend -he said he didn't fancy my chances half a mile out but I was always hopeful.
    I wouldn't be in the least surprised if be turned out to be listed class but today I was worried about the bounce,his weight and the jockey.
    I had to go visit a few betting shops this afternoon to spread a bet around -I was in a strange shop and there was a big handicap about to go off in Germany -in the Betfair market there was very little money but someone wanted to back the bottomweight at 23 -the show was 28/1.Had a few quid each way at 28s-ridden by the trainers daughter it made all the running to win by abou a length.
    It's amazing you can spend half your life studying form but there is no substitute for good luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyB View Post
    Not very original, but both Burj Nahar and Gatewood look a cut above their opposition at Ascot today, and I've doubled them up at 13-8 each.
    Couldn't have got that much more wrong... well done Luke!

Thanks
    Yarmouth 3:15 Ceremonial Jade - it's been 5years since this horse ran in this grade - 18lb lower than his all weather mark if you niclude the 5lb claimer and the outsider of the field. The last two times the trainer used the jockey and his claim he was 2nd twice at 14/1 & 40/1 - a performance within 10lb of his all weather form would see him in the mix and the odds have tempted me. 10.0 betfair

Thanks
    Laid him at 1.57 -the betting seemed to be fairly volatile.Watched the race with a friend -he said he didn't fancy my chances half a mile out but I was always hopeful.
    I wouldn't be in the least surprised if be turned out to be listed class but today I was worried about the bounce,his weight and the jockey.
    I had to go visit a few betting shops this afternoon to spread a bet around -I was in a strange shop and there was a big handicap about to go off in Germany -in the Betfair market there was very little money but someone wanted to back the bottomweight at 23 -the show was 28/1.Had a few quid each way at 28s-ridden by the trainers daughter it made all the running to win by abou a length.
    It's amazing you can spend half your life studying form but there is no substitute for good luck.
    Anyone want to guess the bet I was spreading around.

Thanks
    Anyone want to guess the bet I was spreading around.
    A Galway Hurdle bet! Nice!! You must have had a savage touch lad, fair play to ya.
    "Sometimes a horse is so far behind in a race, it actually thinks its leading...." Junior Soprano

Thanks
    Tomorrow "The Diesel"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tout Seul View Post
    Tomorrow "The Diesel"
    Im lost, but I hope to God i work it out before its won!!
    "Sometimes a horse is so far behind in a race, it actually thinks its leading...." Junior Soprano

Thanks
    Traffic article?
    Last edited by krizon; 28th July 2011 at 11:43 PM.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tout Seul View Post
    Tomorrow "The Diesel"
    The 'Enjoy Russian Standard Vodka Responsibly Handicap'? At Newmarket?
    Last edited by Grey; 28th July 2011 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks
    Sorry for a little bit of mischief. The Diesel ( John Riggins) of the Redskins is one of my all time heroes and I know many on here would instantly recognise the reference if it were in the other sports section.

Riggins shudda/wudda won last years Royal Hunt Cup off a mark of 100 but met a little trouble at the beginning of his run carrying a significant amount of my money (ew ). Off 104 today and wearing headgear for the first time- I didn't realise he might need it-and having had a nice pipe opener over an inappropriate 10f- he should be in the shake up. A C&D winner I feel he has great chance today especially if the headgear brings improvement, 12/1.

Riggins is the first leg of a homemade trixie for me along with 2 other old favourites of mine that go on Saturday. Fathsta is another leg whilst the other is yet to be priced up.

Gearoid
    You might want to get moving because Riggins is Pricewise. I've helped myself to the 5/1 Tazahum (another of Tom Segal's picks) in the 2.35. I was on last time when at Ascot when I thought a step up in trip would be the makings of him. He travellled really well but had nothing left up the straight.

Thanks
    Thanks for that Gearoid. I won't pay for anthing on the internet nor regularly buy RP so don't read Pricewise.
    I have followed Riggins' progress from the start attracted initially by the name and I think the horse is well named as he has the ability to put a short explosive burst as did his namesake. I have been availing myself of plenty of AP on Riggins and have reserved my Goodwood funds for these 3 horses. At the prices it doesn't take too much on the multiples to get to a target of £100k pickup if the 3 were to win.

Gearoid
    I'd a fair idea you did not know it was Pricewise. It would be a shame for your hard work to be undone by him tipping your fancy and missing the best price.