Page 2 of 371 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum horse connections

Thanks
    We run a thread like this on another racing forum, RO, so I thought it might be nice to have a place where we could let each other know about our horses, however big or little the ownership or other connections. Saves various dotted-about threads and we can more easily track their progress, should folks like the idea of sharing that info, of course. You have a huge amount of horses! I loved BALLYCASSIDY and of those you mention, I'm very fond of NO PANIC. Mr Bowen seems to be a trainer who gives all the horses their time, no eyeballs-out ambition to rush them and try to win, come what may. Seems a lovely chap.

Songsheet's current home-breds in training are the very good FAREER (Ed Dunlop for Sheikh Hamdan), PLACE THE DUCHESS (place being apt - she is a maiden, but we hope emulating her mummy BARRANTES and going to do better as she matures), BLACK DRAFT (as above), CARNIVAL DREAM (has won and placed). We have together bred PTD and CARNIVAL DREAM and the yearling filly, now officially named ONE COOL CHICK (ICEMAN - BARRANTES) by owners the Finch family is being readied for her career by John Bridger.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    Without sounding nosey, what brought about the decision to move from PCH to Michael Bell ?

Will Monitor Closely go to Dubai ?
    Thanks everyone for the good lucks, appreciated. I don't mean to sound rude but not going to comment on the move as private. Was hoping Monitor would get to Dubai but unlikely now as he had to have his knee cleaned by the vet which is taking longer to come right than we had hoped, its a shame really as he wold have had a big chance out there.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Roddy Owen;351396]Royal Scoundrel who won his bumper but is out for the season,/QUOTE]

Good luck to everyone with their animals, it's great to have some names to watch out for now. Well done to Flame for his win, and the Lidderdales on the double.

And thanks to Kri for starting this, is interesting to follow the horses people on the forum have. Especially if you do not have one yourself, or are in between having one as I am.

Roddy, I love Royal Scoundrel! So sad to hear he is out for awhile, and I was wondering where he was as have not noticed him racing. I visited Peter's yard awhile back, before he won his bumper, they all spoke very highly of him and I gallops spotted him and fell in love with him. I love the yard too, and like many horse lovers am very fond of Ballycassidy. Iron Man is another 'friend' of mine.

Best wishes with all of them this season.
    Speak your mind, but ride a fast horse. ~ Anon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto View Post
    Thanks everyone for the good lucks, appreciated. I don't mean to sound rude but not going to comment on the move as private. Was hoping Monitor would get to Dubai but unlikely now as he had to have his knee cleaned by the vet which is taking longer to come right than we had hoped, its a shame really as he wold have had a big chance out there.
    Some of his family seem to have taken to synthetic surfaces quite well and it's worth a stab at a middle distance American race I would have thought given the likely competition at Group One level over here? May be an easy way to win a nice pot out there.

Do you back your own horses much?

Best of luck for the coming season anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamla Stan View Post
    Some of his family seem to have taken to synthetic surfaces quite well and it's worth a stab at a middle distance American race I would have thought given the likely competition at Group One level over here? May be an easy way to win a nice pot out there.

Do you back your own horses much?

Best of luck for the coming season anyway.
    Trying not to sound biased but I'm not going to be overly worried about the competition over 1m 4f this year as I believe the horse is potentially very very good over that distance. If you take the form from the Voltigeur and use one or two form lines he is not far off Cavalryman. He is definitely going to improve as well from 3 to 4 years as he was still a little weak last year and still growing into his frame. Jimmy fortune was also very complementary on him for the big races this year so I'm quite excited.
    I do back my horses but within reason, looking at there chances the same as if I was backing any horse in any race.

Thanks
    I do back my horses but within reason, looking at there chances the same as if I was backing any horse in any race.
    Really? Despite the inside knowledge you wouldn't have with other horses?
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    I'm not saying I don't back the horses because I do, but I'm not going to heavily back one just because it is mine unless I think it has an outstanding chance of winning. Having said that I have never backed any horse against any of mine as I feel like I'm cheating on them as daft as it sounds. Cost me a few quid in the guineas because I really liked Sea the Stars I know it sounds like after timing but the vibes for him were very positive and when I saw him in the pre-parade ring that day he was outstanding.

Thanks
    I'm not saying I don't back the horses because I do, but I'm not going to heavily back one just because it is mine unless I think it has an outstanding chance of winning. Having said that I have never backed any horse against any of mine as I feel like I'm cheating on them as daft as it sounds. Cost me a few quid in the guineas because I really liked Sea the Stars I know it sounds like after timing but the vibes for him were very positive and when I saw him in the pre-parade ring that day he was outstanding.
    Don't want to be grilling you but I read the story in the Racing Post a few months ago and it mentioned that your dad was a black taxi driver-was gambling in your blood from an early age.

Thanks
    Yeah he was a black cabbie. In terms of gambling though my family have always been involved in one way or another in the industry so i was exposed to it at a reasonably young age.

Thanks
    Trying not to sound biased but I'm not going to be overly worried about the competition over 1m 4f this year as I believe the horse is potentially very very good over that distance. If you take the form from the Voltigeur and use one or two form lines he is not far off Cavalryman. He is definitely going to improve as well from 3 to 4 years as he was still a little weak last year and still growing into his frame. Jimmy fortune was also very complementary on him for the big races this year so I'm quite excited.
    I thought he travelled beautifully in the Leger before emptying in the last furlong or so.

Thanks
    Yep it all went exactly as thought he would look like had been parachuted in with 2f's to go and then whether his stamina would hold...which unfortunately it didn't. Like I said a biased view but over 1m 4f this year he is going to be very tough to beat as he is versatile enough to have the speed in a slow run race or has enough stamina in a hard run race.

Thanks
    I think he'll be a strong player in Group Twos and Threes over 1m4f but I can't see him matching the Cavalryman's with this world. I hope I'm wrong though and he gives you a good season and stays healthy. As I say though, the middle distance brigade in the States are below ours and it could be a door to some decent prize money if you find yourselves looking at the rears of Cavalryman, F&G and co but I hope your lad will improve past them.

Do you find it hard to get your bets on more and more with the big firms now? I know a few owners who have found it become increasingly difficult in the past 18 months (Worse than it's ever been) with firms simply refusing to lay decent bets any more.

Thanks
    Getting bets on is so so i use betfair quite a bit nowadays so there is plenty of liquidity in there.

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, Lawrie. Good luck with your horses for the year ahead. I have followed you career as a trader closely, as it's a career I would love. However, I'm not mathematically minded enough to become one, sadly.

Thanks
    Good man, Kauto.

I liked Monitor Closely last season, and have all the more reason to like him this season.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Yes, good luck Kauto, He is a handsome horse and I like him a lot too, glad he stays in training.
    Speak your mind, but ride a fast horse. ~ Anon

Thanks
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamla Stan View Post
    I think he'll be a strong player in Group Twos and Threes over 1m4f but I can't see him matching the Cavalryman's with this world. I hope I'm wrong though and he gives you a good season and stays healthy. As I say though, the middle distance brigade in the States are below ours and it could be a door to some decent prize money if you find yourselves looking at the rears of Cavalryman, F&G and co but I hope your lad will improve past them.
    Agree with all of that (including the positive sentiments) and would think a Grade 1 in the States would be very much the way to go.

I think the Voitegeur was the dodgiest race of last season.

Thanks
    You could see sneak a race like the Coronation Cup - if ridden from the front he could be tricky to catch. But the likes of Fame And Glory will probably turn up there and I could not see him beating him if he progresses as expected.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All winding up aside, do you think FAG will progress or are you worried about his autumn form?

I think with a pacemaker/fast pace, Cavalryman will be very difficult to beat over 1m4. I hope they don't get any delusions and run him over shorther though.