Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999104105106107108109
Results 2,161 to 2,168 of 2168

Thread: Films

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli77 View Post
    Jason Bourne - sadly a little bit Jason Statham, all action, little plot and couldn't care less whether the characters get killed or not. Doesn't really offer much to the whole Bourne series.

Suicide Squad - starts off quite well, the back stories are useful but then we're introduced to Cara Delevigne's character and the film goes to ****. Plot is awful, the scenes with her as a witch summoning some kind of blue beam is like something out of Ghostbusters. Harley Quinn the stand out character, The Joker under used and the film doesn't really go anywhere. Could have been so much better, not great, not terrible but very disappointing.
    Not films I had any hope of being anything more than a bit of light entertainment. Have seen a few decent ones lately

Frozen River would probably appeal to a number on here - more a drama than a thriller, which usually has me reaching for the off switch, but the story was sufficiently gripping to hold me in there.
    A Walk In The Woods - love Bill Bryson's books and the film managed to capture l'eau de Bryson quite nicely.
    The Cobbler - written and directed by the same chap who gave us The Station Agent, which was excellent. A quirky story, which earns less points than it deserves on IMDB courtesy of the presence of ever-hated Adam Sandler (who I love - fk the haterz).

You can probably pick up all 3 for under a tenner on ebay.

Thanks
    Jason Bourne is truly dreadful.

Thanks
    Captain Fantastic tonight. Loved it.The description I heard of' Road movie meets Lord of the Flies meets Little Miss Sunshine' pretty much sums it up. However, spent most of the evening trying to work out why the eldest son looked so familiar; was driving me bonkers.

Thanks
    Jason Bourne was too long, too little in terms of plot and too much in terms of action. There was a car chase at the end that was just pointless.

Seen Eye in the Sky on DVD recently, really enjoyed it.

See 66 days, more of a documentary than a film, wouldn't be bothered with it, probably be on BBC some night anyway.
    "Sometimes a horse is so far behind in a race, it actually thinks its leading...." Junior Soprano

Thanks
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople; similar to Captain Fantastic in that it's a sort of road movie [well, more of an off road movie I guess]. Equally wonderful, if not more so. Haven't been to the cinema much lately and then see two crackers in one week.

Thanks
    Hell Or High Water - Great modern day western type film, brothers set out to rob a branch of banks they hold responsible for their mothers financial problems and need money to keep her estate as she's passed away and they've found oil on her land. Jeff Bridges is excellent, the film builds gradually and it's a tale of cat and mouse as the sheriffs hunt the robbers across Texas. Highly recommended, no silly car chases, CGI or special effects, a good old fashioned story with excellent acting and well worth a watch.

Son Of Saul - bought this on DVD and watched it last night but still unsure what I think of it. The film is quite ambiguous and leaves you asking a number of questions. Saul Auslander works in the concentration camps, cleaning up the shower rooms and dragging the "pieces" - dead bodies to the furnace once they've been gassed. The naked bodies are purposely blurred so the focus is on the character dragging the bodies rather than the bodies themselves. Saul finds a boy who is still breathing who he then sees smothered and states it's his son. He asks the doctor not to send the body for burning and instead spends the whole film looking for a rabbi to bury the body instead. There is an undercurrent of uprising, Saul collecting a package that we think is some kind of explosive as the workers realise they are also soon going to be killed when they are placed on a list of 70 names. The film suggests he didn't even have a son and was instead just looking for some kind of humanity yet he states he had a child with someone other than his wife. He is emotionless when seeing the boy smothered, which has resulted in many filmgoers online stating there is no way he would have reacted like that if it was his son, even knowing he could also get killed if making a fuss. The ending is also ambiguous and leaves it open to interpretation. It's worth a watch, reviews go from 10/10 to 3/10 and it's a marmite sort of film.

Thanks
    Saw the film version of the Young Offenders a few months ago and was reminded of it by the series currently showing on the BBC. Highly recommended - but bring your listening ears with you, cause it's a thick Cork accent to decipher.

Also couldn't help myself visualising our own G-Rod as either of the main characters.

Thanks
    Recently saw Three Billboards and The Shape of Water. Loved 3 Billboards but not sure what to make of the other. I don't think I enjoyed it; which sounds daft because I should know one way or the other but I don't...