View RSS Feed

edgt

Tjukurrpa Syndicate

Rate this Entry
As a lifelong racing enthusiast I have always had the desire to run a racing syndicate.
I believe you can live the dream for the cost of a 10 cigarette a day habit and hopefully be all the healthier for it.
Every member, however needs to be of the same attitude , ideally paying up front and not being surprised with requests for contributions at irregular intervals.
My opportunity duly arrived early February 2016 with a filly John Joe Walsh had acquired.
Arriving at his Doneraile yard to examine this "beauty " I decided that once she a leg at each corner and a pleasant attitude i would be happy enough to recommend her.
Her pedigree was of interest to me as Bushranger, her sire, had baffled me, first with his huge popularity when retired to stud and then how people had shunned him to the extent that Ted Walsh compared having one of his offspring at the sales akin to having AIDS.
His progeny were no world beaters but were regular if unspectacular winners, ideal for a country syndicate with no ambition beyond a few days out with an honest competitive horse at whatever level it ran. His stock had started winning with more regularity,he having been exported to Turkey.
Her dam line was spectacular; she shared her grand dam with Turret Rocks, a two year old Group 2 winner and Group 1 placed so a classic prospect for the year ahead. Her third dam was grand dam to none other than Goldikova, triple Breeder's Cup winner and top top racehorse.
Fourth dam was Arc winner Gold River; third dam Riviere D'Or so I had ambitions to call this filly Abhainn Oir (Gold River in gaelic) but the name had been taken.A member of Apache Gold syndicate had suggested an Australian outback name after her sire.
While reading Mary Black's book "Down The Crooked Road " , I read how Steve Cooney on producing an album for her had called on Aboriginal spirits of Tjukurrpa ( Dreamtime) at the beginning of recording sessions.
I had a name for the filly as racehorse ownership is the greatest opportunity for dreaming that a person can get !
2016 was frustrating as the filly suffered from "tieing up " and trainer could not find a diet suitable for her until late in July.
I supplied roasted flax seeds to help her digestion and while we finally reached the racecourse, in three starts she managed to finish in front of only one horse. Turret Rocks had similarly not lived up to her promise, though fourth in Irish Oaks and sixth in 1000 Guineas.
I brought Tjukurrpa home early October for her winter break, deciding she should be the basis for a field study of mine.
My colleague and friend Richard McCormick had developed a product "Champion Oats Balancer " and was insistent that this product with quality oats, hay and roasted flax seeds were all a horse needed for a healthy diet.
So in the company of Sam, a 28 year old gelding she was outwintered with increasing levels of feed given through the winter months.
I think she spent only a few nights inside all winter as the weather was mild and the separation anxiety when the two horses taken apart not worth the hassle for one rated only 27 by the handicapper, the second lowest rating of the year.
February 22 Tjukurrpa was back at JJ Walsh's for her new season.
Eleven of the original twelve stayed loyal to the cause and a sub was found for the "missing apostle ".
I took half payment, giving us until July for the filly to justify her expense.
With such a low rating getting into a race was the biggest problem;whenever entered she was to be at the tail end of each ballot instead of working her way up the ballot. She got to third reserve at Cork one evening but got no race, for her next entry at Listowel was yet again at the tail end of the ballot. Luckily JJ also entered her in a mile fillies maiden race and while at the end of the ballot got a race.
Half the members showed up at Listowel with wives and family in tow and all were happy just to get a day out.
She looked fantastic, having had no setback all spring and the moment of truth was soon upon us.
What happened next was dreamlike; she broke well and got a good position but settled well when taken off a quick pace.
Around the final bends she got a little caught in traffic but once extracted made up ground, galloping through a closing gap to stay on and secure third place. Jockey Colin Keane was very enthusiastic, saying she needs slightly softer going and a slightly longer trip and may have been second but for getting caught in traffic. Second !!
The prizemoney earned will cover a month's training and a race entry to add to the joy.
Those who had cows to milk left with a spring on their step, those of us in no hurry basked in the glory of having a racehorse, a proper horse who can hold her own in company.
That Turret Rocks found her winning ways again and Goldikova's offspring Terrakova is second favourite for French Oaks June 18 we have every reason to be glad of Tjukurrpa's famous family tree.
The handicapper increased her rating by 39 pounds to 66, which nearly entitles us to entry in the Guinness Book Of Records ,
as well as being the poster filly for Belmont Equine Products should she live up to her new rating.
Roll on her next day at the races, one to look forward to.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Best of luck with her, Eddie, it would be great to see her in the winners enclosure
    A nice read, and thanks for sharing Eddie.

All the very best with her for some good days out, and hopefully a visit to the winners enclosure some day soon.
    Thanks, edgt, you must be very proud. Stay lucky.
    39lbs! Pity you couldn't run up a sequence in 0-45 handicaps!
    Updated 13th June 2017 at 10:20 PM by SlimChance